Dear Colleagues,

I have a cattle fragment from a Roman deposit at Chester which has C2+3 ankylosed to the proximal metacarpal. Exostoses indicate that the missing upper row of carpals was similarly affected. I have also seen a completely fused sheep foreleg joint from another site. The condition is clearly the same as that which would be described as spavin if it affected the hock joint in the back leg. Can the same terminology be accurately used to describe the condition in the foreleg, would the causes be the same or similar and does anyone know of other examples affecting the foreleg?

Ian L. Baxter