Dear Zooarchers --

OK, now I've got myself in trouble and am pleading for any assistance
y'all can give me. With the recent (spectacular, tragic) deaths of
Thoroughbred racehorses Barbaro and Eight Belles, and the memory of
Ruffian breaking her leg during a high-stakes match contest not that
distant, suddenly I find myself deluged with requests for a paper I've had
running on my website for years. The paper is familiarly entitled "the
Ranger piece", and in it I discuss a GENERAL summary for the growth plate
fusion in horses, vis., that fusion occurs "from the bottom up", with
distal limb elements fusing before those in the proximal elements, and the
vertebral physes and other ossification centers fusing last of all, at
about 5.5 to 6 yrs. of age.

Besides my own research, I have relied on data on bone development given
in Sisson & Grossmann's Anatomy of the Domestic Animals (one does have to
read the fine print, but it's there); combined with close reading of David
P. Willoughby's two books, "The Empire of Equus" and "Growth and Nutrition
in the Horse", both of which are simply stuffed with useful tables of
data.

HOWEVER -- what is happening now is that I'm getting calls from media and
racing officials and supporters. The latter are mad because what the
"Ranger" paper is basically saying -- which is irrefutable -- is that
there is no horse, of any breed, at any time in history, that is mature at
age three, the age at which the Kentucky Derby and the other Triple Crown
races, and many other famous races, are run: they are all "futurity"
contests.

So I need to be sure I've got all the references possible on this, not
because I'm against racing young horses necessarily, but because the
media, horse owners, and the general public need accurate information in
order to make good management decisions and it turns out I'm the one who
they turn to for that info.

What I'm asking y'all for is, then, any references you may know of that
speak directly to this subject. Besides Sisson & Grossmann, I have the
2007 paper by Strand, et al. which compares limb bone growth in Icelandic
horses to TB's and other breeds. This paper is typical of veterinary
studies in totally leaving out the vertebral column, which I think is the
most important part of the skeleton!

I suspect that some of you in Europe could be of great help to me here,
because my guess is that the original studies (Sisson and Grossmann don't
cite their sources) probably are 19th-century European. I was amazed to
look in Gobaux and Barrier (1898) and Horace Hayes (1908), both otherwise
so comprehensive, and find not one word!

Thanks to all in advance for any assistance you can give. -- Deb Bennett