Dear Jen -- There are indeed ligaments in the distal part of a horse's
limbs which would be enclosed in the hoof capsule. Please allow me to
suggest that you purchase something I wrote, which contains very clear
"virtual dissections" of horse limbs, as well as detailed discussion of
the composition of all the horny tissues and their underlying generative
coria. The item is the 2003 "Inner Horseman" newsletter available by going
to the bookstore section at www.equinestudies.org (n.b. ORG not COM). The
cost is $25 for around 250 pages on CD-Rom disk.

As to gluemaking: It is not necessary to remove the hoofs at all in order
to make glue. In fact, hoof removal is quite difficult. For example, when
I teach a carcass dissection class, of course the students want to see
what's inside the hoof capsule and we do need to remove it. What we do
then is first remove the limb at the hock or knee. Then we go get a bucket
while we boil two teakettles of water. While the water is boiling, we cut
all the way around the coronet band as deeply as the scalpel will
penetrate, and then use a set of sharp farriers' nippers to cut the
buttresses open from the back. It is also necessary to nip the rim of the
capsule -- as if you were trimming a live horse, but cutting up so high he
would have bled.

These cuts are all for the purpose of reducing the attachment that the
capsule naturally has to the underlying dermal tissues. Finally, we put
the limb into the bucket, pour the boiling water over it, and leave it sit
for about 20 minutes. The heat from the boiling water then denatures the
remaining internal connections. After 20 mins. when the hoof is removed
from the bucket and replaced upon the dissecting table, it is usually
possible to grab the capsule with big plumbers' pliers, while somebody
else holds the upper end of the limb, and pull the capsule off "clean".
Sometimes, however, even all of this is not enough and we then resort to
using farriers' pull-offs, which we use to grab horizontally one of the
buttresses that we had previously cut. The pull-offs are then rolled
forward, so as to force the wall of the hoof to peel away in much the
manner of a sardine tin. The sole is peeled off separately.

I tell you this merely to illustrate that getting the hoof capsule off is
a big lot of work. To make glue, all you really have to do is throw the
distal limb in a pot of boiling water and leave it on the boil there for a
number of days. It doesn't hurt if there is hide, tendon, or bone in the
mix too, though the most efficient way would be to throw in only the most
distal part of the limb. The easiest point for disarticulation would be
the "ankle" joint, i.e. the metacarpo-phalangeal joint, or else just chop
through the 2nd phalanx.

Of course at Vindolanda I think we had a gluemakers' shop. I also think we
had a bowmakers' shop and a leather shop and somebody that made tool
handles out of bone -- all in addition to the butcher. My surmise is that
all these people cooperated together in a kind of assembly-line process.

What I envision is that carcasses would first be treated by the tanner or
the tanner and butcher working together to remove the skin. Then the limbs
would be delivered to the butcher who would disarticulate the meatier
joints from the hock up but leave the long tendon that invests the
semitendinosus muscle without cutting it (this is easy). Then the limb
with the long tendon still attached would be loaded on a cart and trundled
down the street to the bowmakers', who would snip out the tendons. Then
the remains would be shifted to the gluemaker, who would chop off the
hoofs and throw the (partial) pasterns + coffin bone + capsule into his
boil-pot. Last of all, the cannon bones and perhaps carpal and tarsal
bones would go down to the toolmakers' place to be turned into knife
handles, game pieces, awls, and other useful objects.

I can't solve the mystery of the cut-marks on the solar surface of your
coffin bone, except to note that even a deep gash here, that transected
the insertion of the tendon of the deep digital flexor muscle, would not
help in removing the capsule. From Vindolanda I do have one hoof that has
been hatcheted right through. It is conceivable that hoof capsule + coffin
bone might have been crudely axed into chunks (the blows would need to be
quite heavy), and the mark you have represents a whack that didn't go all
the way through. -- Deb Bennett