Hi Canan,

I'm agree with Simon. This is a distal humerus of Otis tarda. Until recently, this species was relatively common in Northern Mesopotamia.
I regularly found bones of great bustard in the Neolithic sites of Northern Syria (http://demeter.univ-lyon2.fr/sdx/theses/lyon2/2004/gourichon_l), particularly at Dja'de el Mughara (Early PPNB), ca. 50 km south from the Turkish border.

As Simon correctly stated, your specimen corresponds to a large male (Bd comprised generally between 35 and 45 mm).
To compare, please have a look at the enclosed pictures of a female humerus found at Dja'de.

Best,

Lionel

Lionel Gourichon
UMR 6130 - CEPAM
Sophia Antipolis
250 rue Albert Einstein
F-06560 Valbonne
France
+33 (0)4 93 95 41 34

canan cakirlar a écrit :
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">

Greetings to everyone from the field -a Bronze Age site near the Turkish-Syrian border, not too far from the Mediterranean Sea ----- namely Alalakh.

We just extracted this huge bird humerus from a street deposit and we're all very excited to learn which species it belongs to.

If anyone can help, we would very much appreciate it!

http://www.alexandriaarchive.org/icaz/icazForum/viewtopic.php?t=1045

Canan Cakirlar, M.A., Dr. Rer. Nat.

Tuebingen University
Naturwissenschaftliche Archäologie