A query sent to me - all answers welcome..... I have suggested the query be addressed to Robin
Bendry - but if anyone else can contribute that would be great.

Question

 I am interested in this subject in relation to the appearance of large ditched enclosures in the
later Bronze Age. No-one appears to have considered whether there might be any link between the
appearance of horses, particularly the riding of horses, and the development of new types of
palisaded and ditched enclosures.

My reading of various site reports suggests that horses are present on a few Middle Bronze Age
sites (Deverel-Rimbury 1500-1250 cal BC), but become more common on Late Bronze Age ones (1250-800
cal BC), and are fairly standard by the Early Iron Age, albeit still in small numbers. I wondered
whether the Middle Bronze Age examples were still too few to have affected society, but whether by
the late Bronze Age they might have become common enough to affect how warfare was conducted? The
view on horse riding is linked to horsegear, of which the earliest metal examples I know of in
Britain are in the Isleham hoard, later Wilburton complex, ie around 1000 BC, and bone examples are
known at Runnymede and Petters a little later. This may be rather late in comparison to the date for
the emergence of enclosures such as Rams Hill, although most of the examples are later, Taplow being
perhaps 1100, Little Wittenham around 1000, etc. Another objection that has been raised is the small
size of the horses of the later Bronze Age, which I have heard described as too small to ride, and
certainly too small for warfare.

Has anyone pulled together the evidence for horses on Bronze Age sites in Britain, and is there
much evidence on the stature of these animals? Do you have a view on the evidence for the use of
horses in the Bronze Age, and do you know of any further evidence for whether, and if so, when, they
were first ridden?

I would be grateful for any comments or new evidence.

Thanks

Jacqui Mulville (PhD)
Zooarch Listowner,
Senior Lecturer in Bioarchaeology,