Just to follow up from this!

It turns out Sergey is using a certificate which is different from the
one I had re-signed.  His certificate is number 0x4026 and it is not
affected by finalising the rollover.

The certificate I had reissued was to a slightly different name:
host/voms.gridpp.ac.uk, the one that Sergey is using is
voms.gridpp.ac.uk, hence the confusion.

So there is nothing wrong with the current VOMS certificate (0x4026).

Many apologies for the confusion.

--jens