Dear SPMers,

Can anyone offer additional suggestions on how to screen patients for
claustrophobia? I have used "standard" screening techniques up until now;
however, I am scanning patients who have recently been discharged from an
ICU and have had more patients than expected who were "surprised" at their
level of discomfort inside the bore. I have found some useful suggestions by
this in press paper:

Susan Thorpea, Paul M. Salkovskis, Antonia Dittner
Claustrophobia in MRI: the role of cognitions
doi:10.1016/j.mri.2008.01.022

Interestingly they found that neither previous MRIs nor removal of a the
head coil predicted better or worse reactions inside a scanner but that
previous history of panic attacks was related to future claustrophobic
experiences...

Any suggestions, anecdotal or otherwise would be much appreciated!
Thanks

--
Max Gunther, PhD

Department of Radiological Sciences