Dear SPMers,

In our centre we recently discussed the differences between the flexible and
full factorial model in SPM5. We wondered what benefit might be gained from
a flexible factorial design (over a full factorial one). The obvious
advantage seems to be that the flexible factorial design gives more degrees
of freedom in case only a few specific effects are considered. However, we
also wondered whether the subject effect is modeled differently in the full
and flexible factorial models. In our comparisons we came to some surprising
results. This is what we tried and found:

We have a design with 2 factors of interest (GROUP and CONDITION), each with
2 levels. Each group has 26 subjects (52 different subjects in total). In
the full factorial model, we entered GROUP as an independent factor (unequal
variance), and CONDITION as a dependent factor (equal variance). In the
flexible factorial design we modeled SUBJECT, as well as GROUP and CONDITION
as above. W added the 2 x 2 interaction as a contrast to the flexible
factorial model. Then we compared the results from the two models. When
looking at the main effect of CONDITION, we basically got (almost) identical
results in the full factorial and flexible factorial models. This was as
expected. However, when we compared the main effect of GROUP between the two
models, it turned out that the flexible model was much more sensitive than
the full factorial. This was surprising, because the subject effect is also
(implicitly) modeled in the full factorial design. We then checked how the
subject factor is modeled in the full factorial design. To our horror, we
found that the factor subject (sF1) only ranged from 1 to 26 levels (instead
of 52). We can only infer that subject nr. 1 from GROUP 1 and subject nr.1
from GROUP 2 are modeled together as one subject. This is obviously not how
it should be. This erroneous modeling of the subject factor might have lead
to the inferior sensitivity of the full factorial model, with respect to the
flexible model.

Our questions are as follows:

1.	How is the subject factor modeled in the full factorial design? When
comparing two groups with different subjects, how come that not all subjects
(over groups) are modeled separately? How can this be solved?
2.	How to deal with mixed designs within one model? Is it possible at
all to use the full factorial model correctly, or should it be avoided at
all times? If it should be avoided, is the flexible factorial model the best
solution? Or should we use multiple regression analyses, or perform all
within-subjects contrasts at the first level?

Related issues were raised in the below thread, but we feel that the above
questions remain unsolved:

- questions on performing 2 x 2 within-subjects ANOVA in SPM5

http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind0801
<http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind0801&L=SPM&P=R11681&I=-3>
&L=SPM&P=R11681&I=-3

Any feedback would be highly appreciated.

Matthijs, Laura, Lennart, Rene & Rick

Radboud University Nijmegen

F.C. Donders Centre for Cognitive Neuroimaging
P.O. Box 9101
6500 HB Nijmegen
The Netherlands