As a footnote to the electio/successio discussion, I’ve come across this in Letters of John Chamberlain, McClure’s no. 171, or vol. 1. 440, to Carleton, Mar. 25 1613:

The King is very angrie and out of love with our Cambridge men for theyre questions at the Palsgraves beeing there specially whether electio or successio were to be preferred in kingdomes, and is out of patience that yt shold be so much as argued in schooles.

Of course, it is not the same thing to argue this before a monarch with heirs, and one without – the point others made about Elizabeth’s hearing such a debate.

Penny McC.