I wouldn't be surprised if the theological line of investigation here turned
out to be less useful than the rhetorical (Aphthonius on ethopoeia is
probably something Harington would have known, for instance; and you might
find reference to soliloquy conceivably in one of the annotated editions of
his Progymnasmata). But the best places to begin any line of enquiry about
University curricula in the period are the standard (and also
standard-setting) histories, which contain far more information about the
curriculum than any other single source:

Nicholas Tyacke, ed., The History of the University of Oxford: Volume Iv,
Seventeenth-Century Oxford (Oxford, 1997)

James McConica, ed., The History of the University of Oxford: Volume III:
The Collegiate University (Oxford, 1986)

Yes, I know these are about Oxford rather than Cambridge, but unfortunately
they are superior to the equivalent rather patchy volume on Cambridge in the
sixteenth century in Christopher Brooke, ed., A History of the University of
Cambridge, 4 vols. (Cambridge, 1988-2004), and will probably tell you what
you need to know. There would be valuable leads to the rhetorical side of
your investigation (though not just that) in Peter Mack, Elizabethan
Rhetoric: Theory and Practice, Ideas in Context  (Cambridge, 2002).

As I remember Harington left behind a relatively full book list (though from
later in his career), but I'm afraid I can't from where I am at the moment
find where it is. I imagine it will be referred to in the bibliography of
Jason Scott-Warren, Sir John Harington and the Book as Gift (Oxford, 2001).
If it proves hard to track down I could dig out details. I can't remember if
the biographical material in D.H. Craig's quite helpful Twain Authors volume
on Harington contains discussion of his Cambridge career, but it might be
worth a look.

Colin Burrow

Senior Research Fellow

All Souls College

High Street

Oxford OX1 4AL

01865 279341 (direct) 01865 279379 (Lodge)

  _____