Here are the quotations for next week (July 6th to 12th):

1. The result came when a Fear leaped out of the goose-fleshed streets of London between the icy shop-fronts, and drove John to his flat ... It was succeeded a few days later by a small dog, pressed against the skirting-board of his room—an inky, fat horror with a pink tongue, crouched in the attitude of a little beast he had often watched at Mr. William’s fashionable West End pet-shop...

2. ‘Now, you wouldn’t think, would you’—he glanced off the book toward my wildly swaying dressing-gown on the door—‘that I’ve been seeing things for the last half-hour? ’Fact is, I’m just on the edge of ’em, skating on thin ice round the corner—nor’east as near as nothing—where that dog’s looking at me.’

3. ‘It’s a lead-coloured steamer, and the sea’s lead-coloured. Perfectly smooth sea—perfectly still ship, except for the engines running, and her waves going off in lines and lines and lines—dull grey’. ‘All this time I know something’s going to happen... Then I hear a thud in the engine-room. Then the noise of machinery falling down—like fire-irons—and then two most awful yells. They’re more like hoots, and I know—I know while I listen—that it means that two men have died as they hooted. It was their last breath hooting out of them—in most awful pain.

The sources of this week's extracts (June 29th to July 5th) are as follows:

1.  (...‘What is caste to a cut-throat .. we must make thee a yellow Saddhu all over...)  This is from Kim.

2.  (...When a man knows who dance the Hálli-Huk, and how and when and where, he knows something to be proud of… )  This is from "Miss Youghal’s Sais" in Plain Tales from the Hills.

3.  (...‘I will go even now !’ shouted the priest. ‘I will depart upon my winged camels, and be at Peshawar in a day ! )  This is from "The Man who Would be King" in Wee Willie Winkie and other stories’.

For the NRG we  have just published notes by John McGivering on "The Woman in his Life" from Limits and Renewals, and by David Page on the three chapters of Among the Railway Folk , from From Sea to Sea.

Good wishes to all, John R