Sent: 01 July 2008 09:39
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Admission of scanned content

Dear All,

As we have a solicitor who has all e-mails printed off for them [sic] and they responds via Dictaphone I agree with Paul that it may be the reticence of solicitors to accept new working practice.

On the other hand we have a legal team who are leading and piloting a scanning EDRMS case file project so they do not have to carry loads of suitcases to and from court; which will accept the electronic records.

I cannot remember who said it but it has been said that it is at the Judge's discretion whether or not to accept an electronic records but courts have been advised that they are acceptable.

Regards
David

Paul Dodgson <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: The UK Records Management mailing list <[log in to unmask]>

25/06/2008 15:54

Please respond to
Paul Dodgson <[log in to unmask]>

cc

Subject

Admission of scanned content

Hi all,

Many parts of our organisation are scanning closed case files (without my guidance) and intend to rely upon that scanned content as evidence in court.  If I advised them to stop, they would run out of storage space in weeks.

Another business area has, at last,  sought guidance.  I was delighted!  I went to BIP0008 and 0009 and then marched on through the workbook only to be held by our lawyers at section 2.4 where legal issues are dealt with and section 2.4.12 where legal consultation is required.

We now have a situation where our lawyers are advising that to scan content in presents too great a risk in terms of evidential weight.

Our lawyers are saying (not surprisingly) that the original must be held.

However, much of what is regarded as an original these days actually pre-exists the paper equivalent as an electronic record.  The excellent BIP 0008 guidance and BIP 0009 workbook helps.  However, the argument remains - if the courts want to see the "original" then that is (where information is created electronically) the electronic representation (I am careful not to call it the electronic copy - easy mistake to make).

Audit trails do not, generally, exist for paper records  often the evidence as to admissibility comes from a stamp or a signature - undoubtedly secure signs of admissibility!!(not).

Electronic records at least hold some value in terms of evidential weight which is a little more difficult to alter.  With EDRMS the arguments as to evidential weight is somewhat stronger.

Even if the paper copy was the original, Marc Fresko's comment about best evidence should still stand.

In conclusion, it is my view that it is the lawyers who are reticent to move forward, the argument to the Judge about admissibility is merely one which the lawyer wants to avoid.

So why email?  I am trying to gauge the extent of problem this is posing to records managers, in all business sectors, and where lawyers have accepted the principle of scan and destroy - please do share this with me.

regards

Paul Dodgson

Support your local council workers in this year’s National Council Worker of the Year Awards by clicking:
Vote for Jane Dabrowska - http://www.localgovernmentchannel.com/awards/c/innovation/v/jane_dabrowska/y/2008/
Vote for Lee Fradsham - http://www.localgovernmentchannel.com/awards/c/bravery/v/lee_fradsham/y/2008/

Leicestershire County Council - rated a 'four-star' council by the Audit Commission

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, any reading, printing, storage, disclosure, copying or any other action taken in respect of this e-mail is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by using the reply function and then permanently delete what you have received.

Incoming and outgoing e-mail messages are routinely monitored for compliance with Leicestershire County Council's policy on the use of electronic communications. The contents of e-mails may have to be disclosed to a request under the Data Protection Act 1998 and the Freedom of Information Act 2000.

The views expressed by the author may not necessarily reflect the views or policies of the Leicestershire County Council.

Attachments to e-mail messages may contain viruses that may damage your system. Whilst Leicestershire County Council has taken every reasonable precaution to minimise this risk, we cannot accept any liability for any damage which you sustain as a result of these factors. You are advised to carry out your own virus checks before opening any attachment.

Opinions advice, conclusions and other information in this

message that do not relate to the official business of

Flintshire County Council shall be understood as neither

given nor endorsed by it or on its behalf, and consequently

Flintshire County Council shall bear no responsibility

whatsoever in respect thereof.

Deellir na fydd unrhyw safbwyntiau, na chynghorion, na

chasgliadau nac unrhyw wybodaeth arall yn y neges hon,

nad ydynt yn berthnasol i waith swyddogol

Cyngor Sir y Fflint, yn cael eu cynnig na'u cadarnhau ganddo

nac ar ei ran, ac felly ni fydd Cyngor Sir y Fflint yn derbyn

unrhyw gyfrifoldeb am y rhannau hynny o'r neges.

the system manager.
All incoming and outgoing e-mails are monitored for the presence of
profanity and racist remarks, pornographic, sexually explicit or obscene material, and unsolicited content or spam.
www.mimesweeper.com
City of Newcastle website:- http://www.newcastle.gov.uk
Newcastle Schools website:- http://www.newcastle-schools.org.uk
Visit NewcastleGateshead:- http://www.newcastlegateshead.com