Hello everyone,

I thought I'd break the 'how successful has RM been' thread by asking for some advice from group members.

Children's Services have a requirement from the Department for Children, School and Families to record abuse allegations on CareFirst (our case recording system) through the referral screen.  Every time there is an allegation that a child is being/has been sexually abused, there is a searchable record created on the child's electronic care record indicating whether or not the allegation was made to the police.  The record includes:

The requirement is linked to the findings from the Bichard enquiry into the Soham murders and is being introduced to support an audit trail focussing on the number of allegations not referred to the police and the reasons why they were or were not.

Therefore, we need to create an adult's CareFirst record (containing details of the alleged abuser) and then link it to the child's record (the alleged victim) through a 'relationship' or 'contact' link.

I have some questions for the group which I hope you'll be able to help me with:

Is there anything else I need to consider from a records management aspect?  Or data protection?  How other Children's Services records managers handled this?

Many thanks in advance for any advice you are able to provide.

Julie

Julie Bee
Information Governance and Complaints Manager
Children's Services
Darlington Borough Council
Town Hall, Darlington
DL1 5QT
Direct line: (01325) 388979
Internal extension 2979
www.darlington.gov.uk

DISCLAIMER
1. This mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the intended recipient. Unauthorised use, disclosure or copying is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this mail in error please notify the sender at the above address and then delete the mail from your system.
2. Any opinions expressed in this mail are those of the individual and not necessarily those of Darlington Borough Council.
3. This mail and any attachments are believed to be free of any virus. It is however the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that they are virus free. No responsibility is accepted by Darlington Borough Council for any loss or damage arising from the receipt of this mail or its contents.