After Rachel’s comments and the general level of interest that the recent discussion on this list has generated, I figured that it might be worth bringing forward the ‘release’ of the Records Management 2.0 social networking site that I mentioned in an earlier posting.

I recall hearing an excellent presentation at a conference by the chap who used to be in charge of web development at the BBC.  One of his tips for managing and delivering Web 2.0 services was to release as early and as ‘rough’ as possible, rather than waiting forever for a polished final product (which raises issues in itself for the way in which records managers tend to approach system design etc – but that is for another day).  So, with this and a sense of ‘carpe diem’ I have decided to run with this site ‘as is’ on the basis that those who are interested can then shape it and develop it as they wish (if they wish).  It also means that I haven’t spent hours developing something that no body then uses… (always a risk with these things).

Therefore, I’d like to invite anyone who wishes to be a member of this network to send me an email directly (rather than to the list) and I will send them an invitation to join, together with all relevant instructions.  I’m hoping that those who choose to join will want to actively participate in discussions – including starting your own, post details of events and generally share their thoughts and ideas in this area, as well as keeping in touch with like minded professionals around the globe – though of course lurkers are still welcome!

I should also, perhaps mention, that this is something that I have done in my spare time and is not affiliated with JISC or JISC infoNet in anyway.  It is not, therefore, limited only to practitioners from the FE and HE sectors, but nor does it mean that the usual JISC quality guarantees and levels of support will necessarily apply!

With best wishes and happy networking

Steve

Steve Bailey

Senior Adviser (Records Management)

JISC infoNet

Northumbria University

Room 303, Hadrian House

Higham Place, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 8AF

Tel: 07092 302850

Fax: + 44 (0) 191 243 8469

Email: [log in to unmask]

Web: http://www.jiscinfonet.ac.uk