Sent: 31 July 2008 09:30
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: FW: How successful has RM been? (was RE: Comparative definitions of Classification and Taxonomy)

Steve says -

"techniques which were appropriate for managing a room full of paper are fundamentally unsuitable for managing gigabytes and terabytes of digital information.  Once we’ve cracked this – then I guarantee that ‘records management’ will be back in vogue with our employers"

The trend now seems to be towards keeping everything as you like it in a sort of electronic bucket because
While we records managers (or most of us) are saying, in direct contradiction, that information must be properly managed (i.e. classified in such a way so that it is a) comprehensible to persons other than the creators and b) to enable the appropriate security permissions and disposal rules to be allocated) for compliance, risk management, business continuity, efficiency, reputation, governance blah blah.

And no-one is listening - or, even if they are and agree in principle (e.g. by employing a records manager), they are saying, as David succinctly put it, that they are nevertheless "too busy and too important to file things" and they look to IT - and, sometimes, us - to produce a neat and tidy "solution" to save them having to do this work.  We of course say that rules have to be thought about, agreed and in place before any IT solution will work (that's where the "too busy" argument crops up again).....I also agree wholeheartedly with Nicola's statement "Unless I better understand the nature of electronic records that are now created on multiple platforms or in multiple formats, I can not really recommend strategies and processes to manage these records".   I have managed to raise my profile to get occasionally involved in IT planning and, as Claire says, now have to "take the consequences (everyone will despise you when you can't deliver what they want or what they said they wanted in the business case)".  A training course in IT speak would be highly beneficial!

Have we not had/are we not getting the right training? Where are the neat and tidy records management solutions which we can throw at our organisations as giving ROI (ECM/EDRM - too expensive.  Sharepoint or equivalent? Maybe - but the rules argument still applies).  I go on course after course (at least there's money in our training budget...) desperately trying to learn about techniques to demonstrate that I am giving ROI to my organisation ( I know that I am but the benefits are hidden and unquantifiable because they all fit into the category of preventative medicine unless they relate to getting rid of paper where it's easy to show the benefits).

A debate at the next conference would be brilliant.  And Steve - how about those techniques you mention?  Got a nice tidy summary of possibilities for discussion?  You just might convert me yet!

Clare

Clare Cowling
Records Manager
Solicitors Regulation Authority
Ipsley Court
Berrington Close
Redditch B98 0TD

Ph: direct line 01527 512926
Internal extension: 3996
Mobile 07816 929734
Fax: 0152 7883285
email [log in to unmask]

This email, and any attachment, is intended for the attention of the addressee only. Its unauthorised use, disclosure, storage or copying is not permitted. If you are not the intended recipient, please destroy all copies and inform the sender by return email and send a copy to [log in to unmask] Thank you for your co-operation.

Please note the author of this email is not authorised to conclude any contract on behalf of the Solicitors Regulation Authority by email.

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and may be subject to Copyright or Intellectual Property rights. It is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender and delete the email from your inbox. Any disclosure, reproduction, dissemination, modification and distribution of the contents of the email is strictly prohibited. Email content may be monitored by Wiltshire County Council to ensure compliance with its policies and procedures. No contract is intended by this email, and any personal opinions expressed in this message are those of the sender and should not be taken as representing views of Wiltshire County Council.

This footnote confirms that this email message has been swept by MIMEsweeper for the presence of computer viruses. However the sender will not be liable for any alteration of the contents and any attachments of this email as a result of a virus.

Please do not print out this e-mail unless absolutely necessary. Save energy and paper!