Sent: 25 July 2008 10:29
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: How successful has RM been? (was RE: Comparative definitions of Classification and Taxonomy)

Hi All
I think the problems go beyond 'marketing' but rather are our professions inability to adequately describe and quantify real business benefits from IM and RM disciplines.  (witness all the plaintive cries for business cases on this list when members have the un-lovely task for cost justifying an EDRMS).  Compliance arguments -(such as those driven out of FOI ) are not of sufficient priority for beleaguered senior managers juggling shrinking budgets and increased demands for services - unless of course there has been some public failure of information governance that has resulted in bad publicity that the CEO has to front.

How do we improve our ability as a profession to describe and quantify our contribution to improved customer service, system design, and other efficiency gains?  I think these need to be cold hard cash benefits rather than the soft 'enabling' kinds of arguments that we have often made.

Carol Scott
Metataxis Limited
+44 (0)77 25981076
carol.scott@metataxis.com
Designing the Information-Centric Environment

Registered in England and Wales, Company Number 4356463
Registered Address: 53 Cavendish Road, London SW12 0BL