As I was around at the time I thing it was a case of techies ignoring records managers as irrelevant. Now there are some [techies] who [reluctantly] admit that we are not.

As a Records Manager my normal reaction is Destroy but I do [reluctantly] admit that some stuff may be historical and should be kept - migrated - microfilmed - digitized etc.
Regards

David

Records Manager/Rheolwr Cofnodion
Flintshire County Council/Cyngor Sir y Fflint

Tel/Ffon 01352 702178

Clare Cowling <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: The UK Records Management mailing list <[log in to unmask]>

21/07/2008 16:19
Please respond to
Clare Cowling <[log in to unmask]>

cc
Subject
FW: Comparative definitions of Classification and Taxonomy

At the Northumbria witness seminar a couple of years ago I asked how and why records managers let IT/senior management get away with throwing out all the rules.  I was out of the workforce when p.c.s came in and remember coming back in the late 90's and being appalled by the mess.  Most of the organisations I have worked in since, interestingly, still had (and have) structured systems for most of their paper but ye gods, what chaos in the electronic field.

As a matter of interest, has anyone ever done an in-depth investigation on why and how this happened?  I'd really like to know.  Was it simply that everyone was blinded by IT jargon/promises of money saving through abolishing registries?  Or did records managers fall into the trap of assuming that as long as the paper record was OK the e-version didn't matter?

I find it interesting that here it is the IT department which is talking just as much as me about the need to make information easier to find through corporate rules on creation and storage (nothing fancy, just basic stuff like sensible document naming, version control, appropriate access, one location only etc etc).  They are even keen on having a business classification scheme.  Of course I just want to delete it all...

Clare

Clare Cowling
Records Manager

Solicitors Regulation Authority