"The PC came along and every one threw the rule book out of the
window....."

I agree with David on this one.

Even though the discussion is going away slightly from Paul's original
question I think we have always classified (to some extent), it is not a
new thing but there appear to be increasing ways of complicating what
should be a simple set of rules that can govern how we organise the
information we use, whilst allowing for some user flexibility.  That is
the key to understanding effective classification - apply some simple,
controlled rules at the top end but allow the user enough flexibility at
the bottom end to allow them to find their 'stuff' again.  There are
(and never will be in my opinion) no hard and fast, off the shelf
solutions to enable organisations to classify their information
effectively - each schema is organisation unique and requires a lot of
time and effort to get it right.  In many respects we all have the
answer but we haven't found the right way of applying it yet.

Claire Park

Senior Information & Records Officer

Information Team

Adult and Cultural Services

Cumbria County Council

Lower Gaolyard

The Courts

CARLISLE

Cumbria

CA3 8NA

Tel (01228) 221019

Email [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>

This e-mail contains confidential information (which may also be
legally privileged) and is intended solely for the use of the
intended named recipient.

If you are not the intended recipient you may not disclose,
copy, distribute or retain any part of this message or its
attachments. If you have received this message in error please
notify the originator immediately by using the reply facility in
your e-mail software.

Incoming and outgoing emails may be monitored in line with
current legislation.

All copies of the message received in error should be destroyed.
Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the original
author. This email message has been scanned for viruses, and
declared to be virus free at the point of exit from Cumbria
County Council's network.

http://www.cumbria.gov.uk/