Dom,

I feel your pain, as someone here in the USA frequently says.  When my son
was the age I think your children and Janet Jackson's children are (very
young), all I did was rush from home with kid to babysitter, then to work,
then to babysitter to get kid, then home with kid, and repeat that pattern
each workday.. . . . with the occasional homicidal urge that had pretty much
everyone in its sights as a target.

When my son was 11, I suddenly recognised that he was A Person.   It was his
lovely sense of humour that awakened me to his humanity.  My decision not to
have another child had been necessary, I thought, for maintaining  a modicum
of sanity in order to keep my job.  An exemplary parent I was not.  I was
better at being a kid.  And, sadly,  I was monumentally ignorant at being a
wife.

I tend to agree with Ken's "pet" theory that USAmericans are not especially
pleased with having kids and having to take care of them.  I suspect  that
this is a very old, very global feeling.  Children as necessities (for farm
work, factory work, dynasty-enhancing) aren't news.  The view of children as
nonworking darlings by parents who must work to support themselves and their
children does seem an odd chapter.  But it's one in which we figure.

Yet, sex aside, ------  ok, that's too tempting to quip to.  I'll leave it
alone.

Let me just give you the URL for Iceland's practical (and apparently
historical) treatment of moms, dads, and everybody's kids:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/may/18/iceland

And here's a book my son recommended years ago:  +Are Males
Cost-Effective?+.  This is the same son who, that semester at U of Illinois,
signed up for a course in Women's Literature so that he'd be the lone male
in a class of females.  <sigh>

Judy