Roger Day wrote:
> I realise I've not made myself clear:
>
> The huitards actions revealed the bullshit of the authorities. When
> the huitards called the authorities bluff, out came the tanks.

Chris Marker makes the point in "A Grin Without A Cat" that this full
spectacular public unveiling of state power came as a moment of
revelation for many of the protesters.

The Red Army Fraction amongst others were partly stimulated into action
by homicidal police brutality during protests against a visit to West
Germany by the Shah of Iran. Gudrun Ensslin declared that the
authorities were "the Auschwitz generation", with whom no further
negotiation was possible: "we must arm ourselves!"

Dominic