Hi, Terry,

It is my view that a well edited use of the reply function enables a better
grasp of the prior argument because it locates the relevant point in the
discussion -- the point on which the present post replies.

This editorial -- and designerly -- courtesy means that you do not require
your reader to review and read through the entire prior discussion when all
you do is respond to one point.

Even using one-by-one posts, it helps to identify the issue under review
without responding to the entire previous discussion.

Those who study rhetoric -- like those who edit books and journals -- tend
to believe that it is inappropriate to review the entire discussion each and
every time one wishes to respond to a single point. If we did that, every
book and every article would become so cluttered that people would do
nothing but review the past.

Appropriate reference to the _specific_ topic under consideration
constitutes best practice in most media. I think this is also true of
discussion list posts, both in single note format and in digest, as well as
on the web interface.

Yours,

Ken