Hi Klaus,

There is some advantage in seeing several different worlds of theory:

1. Theory as a communication between individuals  with the focus on meaning
and content. For  example, the meanings of  the equation y = ax**2 + bx +c

2. Theory as the written down formula y = ax**2 + bx +c, i.e with the focus
on the 'written down' symbolic representation.

3. Theory qua theory, i.e the essential conceptual forms that underpin the
possibility to use  y = ax**2 + bx +c as a symbolic logic  and in
communication.

4. Theory as real world entities,  aspects of whose behavior we might apply
theory represented by y = ax**2 + bx +c (i.e real world theory instances)

5. Theory as imagined entities in which  aspects of whose behavior we might
apply theory represented by y = ax**2 + bx +c (i.e abstract world theory
instances)

6. Theory as individual subjective understandings of types of theory 1 to 5

7. Theory as represented as 'mind' constructs of types of theory 1- 6

8. Biological/ethological representations of types of theory 1- 7.

There are others...

In each of these, many aspects can be most usefully understood by a range of
perspectives.

A problem is that because all of them have an aspect of discourse, it is
tempting (if one is obsessed by discourse) to view all as being completely
represented by a view of life in which discourse is placed central (i.e that
discourse presents all necessary and sufficient conditions of explanation).

Simialrly, for those involved in words, it can be tempting to make the false
claim that 'thinking only occurs with words (or in language)' or for those
who draw to claim that all is visual, or for those who mathematically model
to claim that all can be represented by mathematics, for those that design
to claim 'design is everything' etc

These all involve machine ways of looking. For those obsessively habituated
to using a particular machine, life is seen as that which is seen within the
machine - shades of the Matrix.

Best wishes,

Terry