Hello everyone,

I love theorizing and thinking at theoretical level, but we need to
set things straight. I don't think it matters that much to go into
details. The problem is that the very concept of theory is
positivist. The discussion up to now follows such a track. Positivist
theories cannot work in most of the design research domains, and
certainly not in design. Forgive me, but that is the world. You can
not use positivism in art theory. (Here I use the word in two
different ways, actually these are two different terms.)

The concept of theory is developed for the natural sciences. The
social sciences can manage it. When we go more towards the
humanitarian sciences, the concept changes drastically, although the
word is retained. This creates the confusion. In the arts, we follow
a humanistic train of thought and rely more on paradigms developed
for understanding the human condition.

The concept of discourse comes from a completely different tradition.
We don't need to reconcile these two. It is better to make a decision
which way we want to go and then, let's go that way without
hesitation. I would not discuss the difference or similarity between
theory and discourse simply because they work in different
intellectual systems. Here I agree with Gavin, if I interpret his
post correctly. So, whether we theorize or make discourse depends
where we stand and what intellectual wave we ride. It will be
difficult to reconcile these two. I also think it would not be
necessary, at least at that point.

Best,

Lubomir

Lubomir Popov, Ph.D.