Chris Kelland writes:

> Please look at the following link which I hope may help you:
>
> http://www.devon-mining-club.org.uk/water_wheel_diagram.htm
>
> Regards Chris Kelland

Thanks for this (and the reference to ISabella - I've got the book(!) -
using a single reciprocating rod to pumps - or even two for a man engine -
seems ok - after all both were reciprocating devices. What I was curious
about is the idea that you convert rotational motion to reciprocating on the
surface, then reconvert back to rotational underground to drive the winding
drum. In a pumping sytem it is the weight of the rods etc. which helps the
working stroke and it is the wheel that does the return stroke, so usually
only one rod is needed (Isabella had a second crank which was never used)To
work a remote winding drum I guess two rods would be needed as both strokes
would want working. I suppose iron rods could be used just as well as timber
beams.

Cheers.

Graham Isherwood