From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture on behalf of Megan McLaughlin
Sent: Thu 10.7.2008 17:39
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [M-R] Early Medieval Archbishops/Metropolitan Churches

Most Learned Ones,
I am trying to find scholarly literature on the development of the
authority of archbishops and metropolitan churches, between the fifth
and the eleventh centuries.  I am especially interested in discovering
when the metropolitan church came to be known as the "mother church" of
its province (and, for that matter, when the bishop's church came to be
known as the "mother church" of its diocese).  I suspect that this
happened around the eighth or ninth century, but I am drawing a blank in
all the usual bibliographies/reference works.  Suggestions?
Megan

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]

to: [log in to unmask]