Ad intellectum 'felix culpa' ...

...  St Isaac the Syrian (or of Ninive) - 7th c. - argued that no one can be so dull as to think that such a majestically wonderful act as the Incarnation happened because of a sin ... As is he anticipated the theme central to Anselm :)
And, as you may well know, John Duns Scotus also rejected the idea that the original sin was necessary for the Incarnation.
 (I. Hausherr published the fundamental article on the subject)

Now Scotus was surely ignorant of St Isaac. What they seem to have understood was that the Incarnation was rather due to God gloryfying his own name, than to anything else, let alone some human failure.

BTW, what is the earliest testimony for the Exsultet with the "felix culpa"?

(Again a very Latin idea, isn't it?)

Valete,

George

Gyorgy Gereby
associate professor
Mediaeval Studies Department
Central European University
Budapest V.
Nador u. 9.
H-1051 Hungary

Email: [log in to unmask]
Skype: ggereby4
Phone/Fax/a.m.: + 36.1.34 12 634
Mobile: + 36.30.99 69 874

>>> Charles Giguere <[log in to unmask]> 7/28/2008 3:49 PM >>>

O felix culpa?