I'm a bit thick these days but this comment by Anne (I think), which slipped by me the first time, needs a bit of explanation, at least to me:

> It seems ironical that in 1969, when there was a purge of
> "questionable,
> spurious or fanciful hagiography", Joachim should have been foisted on
> the
> Calendar. Presumably it was a cynical attempt to bolster the Dogma of
> the
> Immaculate Conception (1854).

What have the parents of Mary to do with the dogma of the I.C., or more specifically Joachim? Surely we can agree that her parents existed and the exact names of Mom and Pop are irrelevant.
The dogma of Mary's immaculate conception, which states quite simply that she was born without the stain of original sin and remained sinless till death, has nothing to do with her parents. Many confuse this doctrine with the miraculous conception of Jesus and assume that "immaculate" implies "no sex involved." I know of no teaching (or tradition, but may be on shaky ground here) that Mary was conceived in any way but the usual. I've "heard" that Giotto's painting of the meeting at the Golden Gate is supposed to depict the moment of Mary's conception. If this is the case, it is G's error. It was hardly a cynical attempt by him or anyone else to bolster the dogma of M's I.C.
MG

Marjorie Greene
http://medrelart.shutterfly.com

Turn your passion into a profession.  Click here to find a film school near you.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2131/fc/Ioyw6iieWx7rnXY7kyZ5K0YWEtFdA0d7aekpnBUtgf9EeEtHrjFrSD/

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]