George wrote:

> Tehmina suggested:
> "Another addition to location/place-based data could include details of
> monuments and sites."
>
> I love this idea. I had a quick poke on Flickr, searching existing groups
> for "statues", and found this map -
> http://www.flickr.com/groups/statuesnsculptures/pool/map?mode=group -
> containing almost 20,000 geotagged photos (out of a total of about 65,000 in
> the group) of statues and sculpture.
>
> This is an interesting example to me, because there's already 8,000 people
> in that group, with an obvious interest in collecting together images of
> sculpture. What if museums joined a group like this as _contributors_, and
> not as "the governing body?"

What kind of contributions would you suggest?

A proactive (rather than reactive) approach to enhancing content 'out there' would be an interesting challenge to our ideas about where and how we invest resources!  But you could look at the amount of time curators spend on external queries for the general public, journalists and researchers for an idea of existing work practices and priorities and to see if it could be justified.

Or would we be better to make our resources on those artworks/monuments more discoverable and more re-usable?

In a way I'm wondering 'would it require technical or content resources' (or both).

A small case study would be useful, but the metrics (that word again) would have to be useful at all the various levels the benefits would need to be demonstrated.

And Tehmina wrote:

> There have been various talks about making data
> available (presumably using SMR/HER information) to mobile devices
> using geo-tagging so when people enter an area of particular interest,
> their mobile or sat nav alerts them and then allows them to explore
> further information - this would be particularly useful for world
> heritage sites.  Museums or visitor centres within sites could serve
> as 'hubs'.

There's also Wikinear (http://simonwillison.net/2008/Mar/22/wikinear/) - it shows you Wikipedia pages near you, based on your location.

Also, over on one of the w3 semantic web lists there was a post titled 'Ordnance Survey data as Linked Data' that announced:

"We are pleased to announce a Linked Data site for the Ordnance Survey,
available at:

http://os.rkbexplorer.com

with links from over 8000 URIs to Geonames URIs."

I can't figure out if it's an official Ordnance Survey project or not.

I had missed it until recently but there's a lot of buzz lately around 'linked data'.  Looking at the definition from Wikipedia, it seems it could be a useful practice for us: "a term used to describe a method of exposing, sharing, and connecting data on the Semantic Web. The practice emphasizes Web access to data using existing Web technologies such as URIs and HTTP" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linked_Data).

cheers, Mia