Jeremy,

are you sure are legally entitled to do that? The fact that the source
is 'open', i.e. visible and changeable, typical of web most
technologies, does not automatically mean you 'own' it and can freely
change it. In most case you own a license for the software as it is -
I think.

Moreover, if you change it, you may loose the ability to benefit from
future upgrade of the software - let alone warranty issues - as you
are disconnecting and branching off your development from the main
stream.

This may not be an issue with the (now defunct?) MS CMS, but for
products which are alive and being updated, would you not incur in
more issues in terms of sustainability than the ones that you solve?

With an OS project, if you're interested in developing, you could join
the community and get your own updates into the main source code.

Thanks,
Cristiano

Cristiano Bianchi
Keepthinking