Dear All,

I'd be interested to hear from list members about their expectations of the Council, and its Councillors.

The new governance system is still fledgling, and there are still lots of practical issues cropping up for the first time - particularly in the areas of 'who does what?' out of the three bodies that now exist.  For example, the Policy Forum (PF) and the Office of the President (OoP) have clear roles under the structure to garner grass-roots ideas and needs, especially the PF, to feed ultimately into Council decision-making.

My own feeling is that as the structure is so new, there is a great deal of benefit on all sides if the individual Councillors/Trustees also 'put themselves about' a bit.  Travelling 'en masse' anywhere is very expensive.  We agreed though, to have at least one full Council meeting a year away from London.  This year it was Cardiff (June).

There is probably more benefit to members if the individual Trustees spread out.  I was invited to the CILIP in Surrey Exec Committee meeting recently, and found it very useful indeed to hear what their hot topics are.  I personally would like to do more Branch & Group visiting - as a wanted visitor, rather than an imposed one though.

We Trustees are Branch and Special Interest Group members ourselves of course, so you can raise any issues with us when you see us then, too.

Best regards,
Caroline

Caroline Moss-Gibbons
Leader - CILIP Council