I have recently been helping a museum clarify whether they needed a licence
for playing background/ambient music during an exhibition. I found out that
any organisation playing copyrighted music or the radio(!) in their space have
to pay the PRS an annual fee.

Doesn't the fact that these museums are charities and not-for-profit groups
mean they should received the same concessions as charity shops (which pay
a nominal weekly sum of around £1)?

Has anybody else come across this issue and if so, are there any concessions
which museums could apply for? If not, do you not think it would be a good
idea to lobby the PRS to recognise the charitable status of museums?

-------

Natalie Watson,
Community Heritage & Museum Development Officer,
Somerset County Museum,
Castle Green,
Taunton,
TA1 4AA