I guess this This is happening because your images are stored as
integers and when you add them together, they go over the integer
overflow and are wrapped round to the bottom of the number line (-ve).

if you specify

fslmaths -dt float im1 -add im2 imsum -odt float

It sould force everything to work in floating points.