The Women's Commission for Refugee Women and Children will be releasing
a livelihoods handbook in early 2009 aimed at practitioners working with
conflict-affected women and youth. Our aim is to assist the field in
implementing more effective market-driven economic programs. We'd love
to work with you to make this happen.

A number of researchers have prepared draft chapters, drawing on
available experience of best field practice in implementing livelihoods
interventions for displaced women, youth, older persons and individuals
with disabilities. We are aware, however, that we would benefit from
much more experience and learning.

The Commission would be most grateful if you could help contribute to
our understanding by contacting us if:

• your agency has experience designing/implementing/evaluating
livelihoods interventions for refugees/IDPs
• you can direct us to online sources of information about your agency's
livelihoods-based projects
• you have case studies you are willing to share for possible inclusion
in the handbook as program examples (case studies would include: program
objectives, brief implementation strategy, target beneficiaries,
outcomes and any further follow-up evaluations on longer-term impact)

It would be greatly appreciated if you could share with the Women's
Commission any in-house material which is not in the public domain. We
would, of course, seek your approval of any text we might propose to
use, as well as whatever form of acknowledgement/non-acknowledgement you
would prefer.

Would it be possible to briefly answer these questions?

• What are the key lessons your agency has learned from livelihoods
programs for displaced people?
• What advice would you give to agencies considering a livelihoods
intervention in a displacement context?

Would you be able to provide more information to our researchers—either
by email or by phone? If so, how should they reach you?

If you are able to provide more information to our researchers, we would
be most grateful. The two consultants working with us on this initiative
are Jenny Reid Austin—who is US-based—and Tim Morris—based in the UK.
Their email addresses are: [log in to unmask] and [log in to unmask],
respectively.

Please do not hesitate to contact me for further information about the
handbook.

With best wishes and many thanks,

Dale Buscher
Director of Protection
Women's Commission for Refugee Women and Children
122 East 42nd Street, New York, NY 10168, USA
Tel: +1 212 551-3115/3000
Email: [log in to unmask]

Note: The material contained in this communication comes to you from the
Forced Migration Discussion List which is moderated by the Refugee
Studies Centre (RSC), Department of International Development,
University of Oxford. It does not necessarily reflect the views of the
RSC or the University. If you re-print, copy, archive or re-post this
message please retain this disclaimer. Quotations or extracts should
include attribution to the original sources.

List archives are available at
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/forced-migration.html.