This is the second call for evidence for this study. I received some interesting material in response to my first call and am now sending this in case some of you missed the first one. Thank you for any help you can give me and I apologise for any duplication.
Best wishes
Gary Craig

Subject: community capacity building

Some years ago I did some work for the OECD on the concept of community capacity building, particularly focusing on its close relationship with the practice of community development. This was published as an article in Critical Social Policy in August 2007 ('Something old, something new....'). OECD has now asked me to extend this work to look at how policy actors in public, private and non-governmental sectors develop and apply social policies for so-called excluded or deprived communities with an explicit focus on community capacity-building. We are looking in particular for examples from a limited number of sectors - housing, health and regeneration - where the issue of community capacity-building is seen as most relevant and appropriate. We want to look at the way these communities (however defined) are encouraged to participate with a view to them developing knowledge, skills and the ability to shape these policies.

This is an invitation to you to send me, by email or hard copy (to the first address below), any evidence in this area of which you are aware. I am happy to receive any material you think may be relevant even if the term community capacity building or capacity building is not necessarily used in the policy or practice concerned. If you have examples from other sectors which you feel may be particularly relevant, please feel free to send them. I'd be grateful to have any evidence sent to me by July 16 if at all possible. Thank you for your help and I apologise for any duplication.

Professor Gary Craig
Professor of Social Justice
University of Hull
Hull, HU6 7RX
tel 44 (0)1482 465780
www.hull.ac.uk/dss

Associate Director,
Wilberforce Institute for the Study of Slavery and Emancipation
tel. 01482 305178
www.hull.ac.uk/WISE

President, International Association
for Community Development