However, this also shows I clearly did't spend enough time reading the previous emails - good point Judith!

>>> Matt Davis <[log in to unmask]> 31/07/2008 12:23 >>>
They clearly don't spend enough time analysing the findings:

Of the 101 respondents who answered the
question (Requirement for spouses to demonstrate
knowledge of English prior to entry to the UK), 68
disagreed with the proposal for
spouses to demonstrate knowledge of English
before they enter the UK; 31 respondents were
in agreement and two respondents gave a mixed
response.

So why bother to ask in the first place? The other area which leapt out at me was:

In 2008 we are extending the
requirement to speak English for economic
migrants seeking entry to the UK through
Tiers 1 and 2 of the new points based system.
All migrants under Tier 1 will be required to
meet an English language requirement (apart
from investors).

Perhaps that rule could be extended to spouses? Those who bring in a predefined amount of wealth to the country could be exempt...

Bah!

Matt Davis
Research and Development Manager
City of Bristol College
Bedminster Centre (1.37)
Marksbury Road
BS3 5JL
0117 312 5557
07739 863 450

>>> Pam Frame <[log in to unmask]> 31/07/2008 12:04 >>>

They must spend a great deal of money carrying out these consultations and analyzing the findings-might be better spent elsewhere-on English classes maybe.
Will this help to ease the restriction on newly-arrived spouses accessing ESOL provision in their first year?  Will they get priority if they have to prove they are seeking to learn? Or a certificate saying they are number 350 on a waiting list? Do they ever say what a satisfactory command of English actually is?