dear people

apologies for any cross posting
also, apologies if this does not have any relevance and/or interest to you

I am hoping to collaborate with a small number of Deaf and hard of hearing
university students (who have worked with notetakers at some point in their
higher education) to work with me on the first stage of my doctoral thesis.
the details are below as the posting was rejected when I had an attachment.

I am keen to include students who have worked with notetakers rather than
making assumptions.  if you have any questions please email me.  if you would
like to participate in the discussion, please contact my IT advisor (details
below) to ensure the anonymity of the co-researchers.

many thanks for your time
melanie

melanie thorley
*AspireAbility project worker
c/o blake 048
the university of greenwich at medway
central avenue
chatham
kent
ME4 4TB

07931 226599

INFORMATION SHEET FOR CO-RESEARCHERS

TITLE	 Exploring D/deaf university students’ experiences of working with
notetakers (this is the provisional title).

AIM   	To gain insight into the (positive and negative) experiences of
D/deaf university students and recent graduates who are supported by
notetakers whilst at university. I am involving students as co-researchers
rather than making assumptions about their experiences.

STAGE ONE SAMPLE	A small number (5-8) of D/deaf students and
recent graduates (since 2005)  will  hopefully assist me in formulating a semi-
structured questionnaire exploring the experiences of students supported by
notetaking. The questionnaire will be compiled by myself, a disability advisor
and the co-researchers using WebCT (electronically).  We will be using a
discussion board to generate questions and to discuss positive and negative
experiences of working with notetakers. The questionnaire will be used in the
second stage.

As the co-researchers need to remain anonymous, they will need to contact
my WebCT advisor ([log in to unmask]) for a guest log-in and information
about how to access the site. It may be possible for you to save the
discussion board as one of your favourites which will hopefully make it quicker
and easier to access once the discussion gets going.  I am hoping to compile
some comprehensive guidelines at the end of the research on four topics. I
would like to provide information for notetakers themselves, D/deaf students
who use notetakers, teaching staff and students who have notetakers in their
class.

The discussion board will run until 30th September 2008 and the information
on the database will be removed on 31st December 2008 to comply with Data
Protection issues.

Co-researchers will need to read this information form and the netiquette
guidelines; they will also need to sign (electronically) a consent form to
participate. No-one except myself, a fellow disability advisor, my ICT advisor
and the co-researchers will have access to the discussion board.  The
compiled questionnaire will then need to go through the Ethics Committee
before it can be distributed.

STAGE TWO SAMPLE	the eventual questionnaire will be available
electronically for a self-selected national sample of D/deaf university students
who  have an ‘ac.uk’ email address and would like to contribute their
experiences to this piece of research.

RATIONALE FOR INVESTIGATION    Hopefully, the information generated from
the questionnaires will enable myself and fellow notetakers to provide a good
quality service for disabled students in higher education.

PRACTICAL AND ETHICAL ISSUES      should the co-researchers experience
anger and/or anxiety addressing this subject, I suggest they contacted via
their Student Union or the Samaritans (08457 909090).  Using an electronic
forum will hopefully minimise fatigue, maintain a safe environment and enable
students to use their preferred software.

Many thanks for contributing to this thesis – I genuinely could not have
undertaken a comprehensive doctoral thesis without your input and comments.

Melanie Thorley

Archives and tools are located at: