FYI.

Begin forwarded message:

  From: "News and alerts from www.MindFreedom.org" <[log in to unmask]>
  Date: July 11, 2008 5:21:55 PM EDT
  To: "News: Human Rights in Mental Health" <[log in to unmask]>
  Subject: Vigil for Esmin Green, who died in psychiatric emergency room

  When Ms. Esmin Elizabeth Green died horrifically in a psychiatric
  emergency room in New York, security camera footage was broadcast
  internationally. A vigil and demonstration is planned, which
  MindFreedom International fully supports and co-sponsors.

  Below is a forwarded news release which is also on the web at:

  http://tinyurl.com/green-vigil

  ~~~~~~~~~~

  FORWARDED NEWS RELEASE

  VIGIL TO MOURN THE LOSS OF MS. ESMIN ELIZABETH GREEN AND CONDEMN
  VIOLATIONS OF HUMAN RIGHTS

  July 25, 2008 VIGIL and Demonstration - Kings County Hospital
  Center, Building G, New York, USA

  Please POST

  WE THE PEOPLE

  Contact: Lauren J. Tenney, MA, MPA, Psychiatric Survivor FOR
  IMMEDIATE RELEASE Cell: 516-319-4295
  e-mail: [log in to unmask]
  website: http://www.theopalproject.org
  http://tinyurl.com/green-vigil

  WE THE PEOPLE Call for an End of Abuse, Torture, and Neglect in the
  Wake of Ms. Green's Death While Detained at Kings County Hospital
  Center's Psychiatric Emergency Room.

  Advocates, human rights activists, and community members are holding
  a vigil and demonstration to mourn the death of Ms. Esmin Elizabeth
  Green. WE the PEOPLE are calling attention to the reported horrific
  inactions and complete neglect that Ms. Green was subjected to while
  detained at the Kings County Hospital Center's Psychiatric Emergency
  Room, 451 Clarkson Avenue Brooklyn, New York 11203.

  According to the Associated Press, after being involuntarily
  committed to the institution, Ms. Green sat waiting for a bed to
  become available for nearly 24 hours before she collapsed on to the
  floor. She lay there helpless for nearly an hour until she received
  medical attention, which came too late[i]. Further, according to the
  New York Civil Liberties Union, facility staff possibly falsified
  documents, stating that Ms. Green was "up and went to the bathroom"
  and was "'sitting quietly in the waiting room' - more than 10 minutes
  after she last moved"[ii]. The surveillance tape shown on CNN Video
  portrays Ms. Green dying on the floor as people pass her by[iii]. In
  fact, on the Internet, one can find a mass of comment on this tragedy
  by individuals all over the world - a question repeatedly asked,
  "Where is the humanity?"

  All people must be treated with dignity, humanity, and respect. We
  must not tolerate violations of human rights that individuals who are
  assigned psychiatric labels often endure.

  We ask you, wouldn't you be depressed and possibly even 'agitated' if
  you were going to lose your home and employment? Reportedly, this is
  what led to Ms. Green's commitment[iv]. Any one of us could be
  labeled with a psychiatric diagnosis and subjected to inhumane
  'treatment' if we are thought to be 'agitated', particularly if we
  are poor.

  How many more people labeled with "mental illness" will be subjected
  to torture and neglect before something is done to protect human
  rights within psychiatric systems? David Oaks, Executive Director of
  MindFreedom International states, "I encourage us all to reflect on
  the need for a deep nonviolent revolution in the field of mental
  health, far beyond the "reforms" that have gotten us to where we are
  today, with televised death via neglect of a mother of six".

  In 1875, a New York Times article cites abuses of inmates at the
  Kings County Asylum, spurred by Mr. Nelson Magee, a former inmate.
  Then-Commissioner Norris reacts to the investigation, "This sort of
  thing is very common among lunatics; they are always imagining
  themselves in great danger of being killed by their keepers"v. How
  many more centuries have to go by before action is taken to end these
  abuses and neglect?

  WE the PEOPLE stand for change. We have been abused by the
  psychiatric system. Our brothers and sisters continue to be abused
  and murdered, as evidenced by Ms. Green's untimely demise. Massive
  human rights violations happen every day in psychiatric institutions
  but this horrific inaction was captured on videotape. We will call
  attention to the every day tortures committed in the name of
  psychiatric "help" including diagnosing life's challenges as
  ''illness," forced pharmaceuticals, restraint, seclusion, and
  electric shock treatment (ECT) with a Vigil to honor Ms. Green's
  memory beginning at 2 PM.

  There are many questions as to what led to Ms. Green's death. Was it
  in any way related to the toxic and debilitating drugs that people
  labeled with "mental illness" are intimidated, coerced, and forced
  into taking? A thorough investigation is necessary to determine the
  extent of the torture, ill treatment and other human rights
  violations involved in this case and in the practices of the
  institution as a whole. We must stand united to demand social
  justice, equal rights, and environments free from torture and detention.

  On July 25, 2008, we invite all people to join us and stand united in
  support of the demand that everyone receive the full benefit of their
  human rights and the preservation of their liberty, dignity and respect.

  Who: All People.

  What: Candle Light Vigil to mourn the loss of Ms. Esmin Elizabeth
  Green and condemn violations of human rights.

  Why: WE THE PEOPLE call for an end of abuse, torture, and neglect in
  the wake of Ms. Green's Death on June 19, 2008, while detained at
  Kings County Hospital Center's Psychiatric Emergency Room.

  Where: Kings County Hospital Center, Psychiatric Emergency Room,
  Building G. 606 Winthrop Street Brooklyn, NY 11203

  Date: July 25, 2008

  Time: 5 PM - 10 PM, Candle Light Vigil, 8:30 PM

  We welcome your involvement as an organizational co-sponsor or an
  individual endorser of this effort. If you would like to speak at
  this event, please contact us.

  WE THE PEOPLE

  ###

  For more information or to schedule an interview, please contact:

  Contact: Lauren J. Tenney
  Cell: 516-319-4295
  e-mail: [log in to unmask]
  website: http://www.theopalproject.org

  Contact: David W. Oaks, Director, MindFreedom Phone: 541-345-9106
  e-mail: [log in to unmask]
  website: http://www.mindfreedom.org
  http://tinyurl.com/green-vigil