From: "Cheryl Long" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, July 11, 2008 3:35 PM
Subject: Disability Discrimination - (Mr Higgins, we have slightly revised
this document and started forwarding it)

We are the parents of a 10 year old disabled girl.  Our daughter has spina
bifida.  She has attended Christ Church School since her reception year, and
has attended the Junior School for three years.  She is now in Year 5.

Recently at school we have encountered some problems with her care.  We
exercised our right to use the complaints procedure the school have in
place.  We also used the complaints procedure the local LEA (South
Gloucestershire) have.

On the 15th May, the Chair of Governors, Mr Bill Robbins, sent us a letter
telling us that we were banned from entering the school.  He gave us no
reason why the ban was put in place.  There were no time limits given and we
were not given the right to defend ourselves.  We took legal advice on this
and were told that this action, by the way that it had been carried out, is
illegal.  We have repeatedly asked Mr Robbins for further information.  None
has been given.  We contacted the LEA asking them to investigate.  The ban
has still to be lifted.  Neither have we received an apology.  We can assure
you that we have never acted in a way that could justify a ban being imposed
upon us.

On Wednesday 9th July, an employee of the LEA telephoned us to say that Mr
Wilkinson, Headmaster at Christ Church School, has written to the LEA to say
that the school can no longer accommodate her.  The LEA were unable to give
the reasons  Mr Wilkinson has given for this decision, even though her care
plan remains mainly unchanged.

Our daughter may now have to complete her final year of primary education at
a different school.  Understandably, she is extremely upset about this.  She
has many friends at Christ Church school and was looking forward to Year 6
there.

We feel the actions of Mr Wilkinson and his governing body are
discriminatory as this action could not be used against an able bodied
pupil.  We also feel that they have used this action as a way of punishing
us, irrespective of the effect it is having on our daughter.

The reason for this e-mail is to make people aware of the power a schools
governing body has and also to ask if there might be anyone who would be
able to help or advise us on a course of action.  If you can help or would
just like to express your opinion on the above, please e-mail us at
[log in to unmask] Alternatively you may wish to give your opinions to the
school directly at [log in to unmask] or the Chair of
Governors, Mr Bill Robbins at [log in to unmask]

If you do contact the school or governor could you please copy us in.

You could also help by forwarding this e-mail to as many people as possible
to help raise awareness of discrimination against disabled people.

Andrew and Cheryl Long

Archives and tools are located at: