I am looking for any information on provisions made for disabled
students in departments of Sports Science, Sports Education, etc.
In the last few months several disabled young people have expressed
interest in studying a sports related field at university; sports
departments at Turkish universities currently require entrants to be
able to 'see/hear/run/etc'; colleagues active in developing disability
support are looking for ways to move beyond this narrow approach.

2 partially sighted high school students are national sportswomen and
want to study a sports related field at university.  So far 3
departments have said 'They won't be able to participate in required
activities', 'They won't be able to see others' performance so will
not be able to learn from them', 'They will not participate
effectively in group activities', and 'They won't be able to assess
others (in the trainer training units)'.  To counter such claims, it
would be useful to know what equivalent skills/understanding are being
used elsewhere.
And are there examples of visually impaired people taking sports
education courses?

And I'm sure there are applicants with other impairments, so commments
about other adjustments and accommodations would be useful.
Thanks

Claire Ozel
Disability Support Coordinator,
Middle East Technical University.