From: John Jackson <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 23:17
Subject: Re: Guardian Poll on Thatcher State Funeral

1. The whole point of public requests for removal was to express dissatisfaction with the unedifying nature of mocking someone's predicted death.  A ten year old would have understood that and also would know how to use capitals (are you Gloria Watkins)?

2. I wonder just how "critical" this whole thread is?  It is almost de rigeur and therefore mainstream to blame Thatcher for the world's ills.

3.When certain Labour party politicians are octogenarians,  will there be the same criticism?  We can all agree that Blair has done tremendous damage to this country especially regarding the Iraq War and civil liberties.  Or is it only progressive to criticise the "right," not that Thatcher was especially right-wing.

4. The major perpetrator of evil is the State (taking a broad Gramscian definition).  Surely anyone who reduces its power (however minimally) must be supported?