"It is interesting to consider why this might be but it certainly makes our
very very very
white chum's comments doiuybly bizarre"

Can someone explain what the point of Tim Edensor's abusive comment is?

How about:

"our very very very black chum"

or

"our very very very Jewish chum"

or

"our very very very gay chum"

Of course, a critical geographer would never think, let alone write such
terms.  They would not be acceptable. So why is "our very very very white
chum" acceptable?

Shameful indeed

I used to teach Cultural Studies and before that Sociology.

IN comparison, Geography is a desert of whiteness both in tersm of students
and academics.
It is interesting to consider why this might be but it certainly makes our
very very very
white chum's comments doiuybly bizarre

Dr Tim Edensor
Reader in Cultuiral Geography
Department of Geography
Manchester Metropolitan University
John Dalton Extension
Chester Street
Manchester
M1 5GD

0161 247 6284

see Tim's 2 websites:

British Industrial Ruins
http://www.sci-eng.mmu.ac.uk/british_industrial_ruins/

and

Spaces of Dereliction: Industrial Ruins in the UK
http://www.sci-eng.mmu.ac.uk/industrial_ruins/

Before acting on this email or opening any attachments you should read the
Manchester Metropolitan University's email disclaimer available on its
website
http://www.mmu.ac.uk/emaildisclaimer
>>> Jon Cloke <[log in to unmask]> 07/02/08 2:58 PM >>>

James,

How dare you/are you sure this list is for you/you make me ashamed to be a
critical
geographer, etc., etc.

Jon Cloke