I raised this point with my class and a swedish speaker, and it seems to be the least thought through of the major carbon ownership arguments. In response to the 'what about china' cries, I contested that a fair amount of their emissions is geared towards producing cheap and plentiful goods for our consumption. Our houses are riddled with products entitled 'made in china'. who's emissions are they then, for the production and transportation of such goods?
laying the blame on the companies may mean either they move to less carbon restrictive environs, increase prices accordingly, adjust their production process, or change market.

It is for the #West# to cut down emissions - export problems. Import products that require emissions intensive industries, import biofuels etc. adjust our economies to low-carbon tertiary and quaternary sectors and let other nations pick up the carbon tab for our stubborn resolution to merely adjust and perpetuate our current lifestyles.

I am not sure how either C&C and kyoto2 differ on this issue, perhaps someone can inform me?

best regards

Jonathan

> Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 14:29:10 +0100
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: C&C query
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
> Hi,
> hopefully the heat from the recent C&C vs. K2 debate has cooled enough for
> me to make the following enquiry!
> In this debate a point was made in K2's favour, namely, how will all the
> products imported into a country be allocated to the per capita emissions
> of the producer and consumer countries?
> Also, I read recently an article in Resugence magazine by Vanda Shiva
> which said: "It would be wrong, for example, to put the emissions from the
> burning of Borneo's forests as a per capita contribution of all
> Indonesians, including the peasants and indigeneous communities who are
> being uprooted for palm oil plantations."
> In both these examples it would seem that the best party to "charge"
> against their carbon budget would be the corporation that produced the
> product or burnt the forest (although of course this doesn't mean I agree
> with the latter!),
>
> Tom

Get Hotmail on your Mobile! Try it Now!