Jo is right.
We need a renewables revolution, but we need a cap too, and it must be on carbon emissions to the environment, not on the price of carbon.  Peak Oil will not be enough on it's own because of carbon intensive alternatives to oil.  The wherewithal to solve numerous environmental problems has been with us for decades, but the will is lacking because of short-term economic considerations.  That is why C&C has not been adopted already.  The banks are likely to jump at 'Kyoto2' because it will give them control whereby they will be able to do what banks do best i.e. ensure continued profits for the industrial elite at the expense of everyone else.  Big industry and their government lackeys will always try to dupe the people.  In the 1980s, Thatcher said something like, 'Science will have solved all global environmental problems within five years'.  They must be rubbing their hands with glee that the environmental movement is now divided over the issue thanks to ill thought out reviews such as Monbiot's.
Tom