Hi Garib,

This is a side-question. What you just said writing to Abhinav explains
why I have problem of some repulsion between identical ligands with
different tail conformations when I try to refine them at 25% and 25%
occupancy. In my case the overall occupancy of the ligand is not
expected to be 100% (the ligand is naturally partially lost) so in
order to have the well behaving refinement I will have to change these
occupancies to 50-50, right? And just pay the price with the higher B
factors? Or is there any other way to deal with this situation?

Aleks

On 30 Jul 2008, at 16:15, Garib Murshudov wrote:

>  If sum of occupancies of atoms is less than or equal to one and atoms
> are not in the same residue with the same alt code then they do not
> see each other. Otherwise they see each other and there is vdw
> repulsion between them. this has not changed substantially since the
> first version.
>
> Waters are not good way of modelling unknown ligands.
> If you want to model unknown model then you can use DUM atoms with DUM
> residue name (just like the arp/warp uses it). Then atoms can come
> much closer to each other (up to 1.2A or so. this value can be
> controlled)
>
> Garib
>
> On 30 Jul 2008, at 16:05, Kumar, Abhinav wrote:
>
>> I have had a similar experience.
>>
>> I was trying to model a bunch of waters to simulate an unknown ligand
>> (UNL) in an unmodeled density. The waters were all in different
>> alternate conformations of the same residue number. When the
>> occupancies of these waters were set to 0.5, the vdw repulsion became
>> absent; waters stayed within density at close distances. But, as soon
>> as the occupancies were changed to anything but 0.5, waters got
>> pushed out of density due to vdw repulsion.
>>
>> So my feeling is that at 0.5 occupancy the atom does not see vdw
>> repulsion (?). Change it to something else and atom should crawl back
>> into its density.
>>
>> I was using refmac5 version 5.2.0019.
>>

>> Thanks
>> Abhinav
>>
>> Stanford Synchrotron Radiation Laboratory
>> Joint Center for Structural Genomics
>> Mail Stop 99
>> Phone: (650) 926-2992

Aleksander W. Roszak, PhD				E-mail: 	         	[log in to unmask]
Protein Crystallography					Web:		www.chem.gla.ac.uk/~aleks
University of Glasgow					Fax:	 		+44-(0)141-330 3779
Level 3 Room B 317						Tel (office): 	+44-(0)141-330 4476
Glasgow Biomedical Research Centre		Tel (X-ray lab): 	+44-(0)141-330
3589
120 University Place					Mobile:		+44-(0)780 9559996
Glasgow G12 8TA
Scotland, UK