Sounds like a bug. Curing the symptoms won't help ....

You should send full details to [log in to unmask]

Since CCP4 6.0.x there has been a substantially new version of Acorn.
Source code at
http://www.ccp4.ac.uk/download/prerelease_page.php#acorn
or try our test 6.1 release ...

Martyn

On Wed, 2008-07-23 at 13:15 -0400, [log in to unmask] wrote:
> All,
>
> In the past couple of days I have been trying to use Acorn (in the
> CCP4 suite of programs). Consistently it starts up fine and after some
> small amount of time (5-10 minutes) it has taken up all the physical
> memory and then it starts to slowly gobble up all the swap space until
> the only option is to switch the computer off, since all processes
> (including X and such) are being pushed out of memory and they somehow
> are not swapped back in.
>
> Is there a way to restrict the amount of memory that Acorn is allowed
> to use? Any other suggestions? Parameters to restrict memory I do not
> see and the Acorn web page does also not mention that they exist,
> neither does it have any suggestions what to do.
>
> We are using CentOS operating system on 64-bit hardware (I think
> CentOS is vanilla Linux but 64-bit may not be vanilla). We are using
> CCP4 version 6.0.
>
> Any suggestions are appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark
>
> Mark van der Woerd, PhD
>
> Research Scientist II
>
> Dept. of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
>
> Colorado State University
>
> Fort Collins, CO 80523
>
> Phone (970) 491-0469

> The Famous, the Infamous, the Lame - in your browser. Get the TMZ
> Toolbar Now!
*               Dr. Martyn Winn                                       *
*   STFC Daresbury Laboratory, Daresbury, Warrington, WA4 4AD, U.K.   *
*   Tel: +44 1925 603455    E-mail: [log in to unmask]                 *
*   Fax: +44 1925 603825    Skype name: martyn.winn                   *
*             URL: http://www.ccp4.ac.uk/martyn/                      *