All,

In the past couple of days I have been trying to use Acorn (in the CCP4 suite of programs). Consistently it starts up fine and after some small amount of time (5-10 minutes) it has taken up all the physical memory and then it starts to slowly gobble up all the swap space until the only option is to switch the computer off, since all processes (including X and such) are being pushed out of memory and they somehow are not swapped back in.

Is there a way to restrict the amount of memory that Acorn is allowed to use? Any other suggestions? Parameters to restrict memory I do not see and the Acorn web page does also not mention that they exist, neither does it have any suggestions what to do.

We are using CentOS operating system on 64-bit hardware (I think CentOS is vanilla Linux but 64-bit may not be vanilla). We are using CCP4 version 6.0.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

Mark van der Woerd, PhD
Research Scientist II
Dept. of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523
Phone (970) 491-0469