OK, the first problem is whether you are using maprot in mode 'from' or
'to'. Depending on which you are using, the operators may be the inverse
  of what you expect.

The second problem arises from the distinction between crystallographic
and non-crystallographic maps. A crystallographic map has a lattice
repeat and spacegroup symmetry. A non-crystallographic map is any map
which does not. (An EM reconstruction is one example).

Now, suppose you rotate a map by 5 degrees. It no longer has any repeat
along the unrotated lattice directions, no does it obey any
crystallographic symmetry operators. So, for a start, you can no longer
expect it to fit your molecule at any general position in real space. It
will only fit over some limited region of crystal space. So, for
example, if you are looking one cell over from your centre of rotation,
everything will look wrong. Furthermore, there will of necessity be
discontinous breaks somewhere in the map.

For this reason, you might want to use a mask when you run maprot. But
that is not enough. You need to think very carefully about what region
of the map you are interested in, and how you are going to go about that
process.

Unfortunately, this is currently tricky and problem specific, so I can't
give you an easy recipie. (It is probably possible to do it
automatically - but has not been done at this point).

Kevin