FW: Linking between NRA and repositories online catalogues

Dear All,

The National Register of Archives  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/nra/  is currently carrying out a programme of developing links between the NRA and collection level descriptions on repositories own catalogues. This is in addition to existing links to networks including Access to Archives, Archives Hub and AIM25. There are now links from approximately one third of NRA sub-records to a collection level description page in an online catalogue, many of which can be browsed through to series and item level descriptions. The project has been successful to date, with links having been made to CALM catalogues including The Women's Library, London School of Economics, Tyne and Wear Archives Service, Derbyshire Record Office, Cheshire and Chester Archives and Local Studies and Norfolk Record Office.

Whilst the current phase of the project focuses on online catalogues generated using the CALM cataloguing system and the DServe web application of CALM, we are looking to expand to include other systems. A pilot linking project was undertaken in April 2008 to link to a repository using the ADLIB system and we will soon be approaching ADLIB users for participation. During this recent pilot project The University of London Research Library Services Archives & Manuscripts Catalogue at Senate House was successfully linked to from the NRA.

In order to link to a repository’s online catalogue we would need to receive a list of all the ISAD (G) reference codes for the collections held. If this were not possible then details of all collection reference numbers would also be fine.  We are flexible about the file format we can receive these in (xml, csv, Excel, Access or HTML are all fine).  We would also need to have a persistent URL from the repository’s catalogue, which generates a collection level description page.

For examples of these links please click on the hyperlink below, an entry on the NRA for the Royden family of Frankby, which includes links to both The Women’s Library and Cheshire and Chester Archives online catalogues:

<http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/nra/searches/subjectView.asp?ID=F7613>

We are keen to expand this project to include additional CALM catalogues, preferably using CALM version 7.1. or above with Dserve 2 and to ADLIB catalogues. If you are interested in taking part please contact Sam Velumyl, Information Resources Officer, [log in to unmask] National Advisory Services, The National Archives, Kew, Richmond, Surrey, TW9 4DU.

Samantha Velumyl

Information Resources Officer
National Advisory Services
The National Archives
Kew
Richmond
Surrey TW9 4DU

Tel: +44 (020) 8392 5330 x2207

Website:
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
National Register of Archives: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/nra/default.asp

National Archives Disclaimer

This email message (and attachments) may contain information that is confidential to The National Archives. If you are not the intended recipient you cannot use, distribute or copy the message or attachments. In such a case, please notify the sender by return email immediately and erase all copies of the message and attachments. Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message and attachments that do not relate to the official business of The National Archives are neither given nor endorsed by it.