Medical Research Council Clinical Trials Unit, HIV Group

New opportunities for medical statisticians, 2 posts.

Salary in range £24,605 to £34,856 p.a. incl.

The MRC Clinical Trials Unit (CTU) designs and conducts clinical trials
and epidemiological research in several disease areas.  The HIV Group
within the Unit coordinates a wide portfolio of studies in HIV infection
in developed and developing countries and has an established international
reputation. The Group currently employs 10 statisticians who collaborate
closely with clinicians, trial managers, and database programmers, within
a stimulating work environment.  Our philosophy is for statisticians to be
closely involved in all stages of the study process, from the development
of initial concepts to writing papers and presenting abstracts.

We have two vacancies for medical statisticians in clinical trials, which
provide exciting opportunities to make important contributions to HIV
research. Opportunities also exist for applied methodological research.
Candidates should have or expect to obtain a post-graduate qualification
in medical statistics or a closely related subject. However, we will also
consider candidates without such a qualification but with at least two
years of relevant experience. Candidates should be familiar with either
STATA or SAS, have good communication skills, possess initiative, and be
able to work effectively in a team.

We will consider applications regardless of previous work experience.
Candidates with little or no previous work experience would be gradually
exposed to all statistical aspects of the job under close supervision from
an experienced statistician, while gaining experience in all stages of
trial development. Candidates with limited relevant experience would take
responsibility for trial analysis plans and interim and final trial
analyses, while developing their expertise in study design and grant
application writing.

Salary is dependent on previous experience and includes Location Allowance
and Central London Supplement.  Applications for full-time and part-time
posts will be considered. Benefits include 30 days annual leave days per
year, a contributory pension scheme and an interest free season ticket
loan. The posts are available immediately. For informal discussions please
contact Adrian Cook on Tel: 020 7670 4639, email [log in to unmask]

Closing date:  22 August 2008
Provisional interview date: 10 September 2008