Dear Colleagues,

I’d be very grateful if anybody would be willing to share with me their
thoughts and opinions on taking original archive material off-site for the
use of learning and education sessions in local schools.

Here at Newcastle University Library Special Collections we are currently
embarking on a two-year pilot Education programme. So far this has involved
some successful school visits to the library where pupils have been able to
view and use original material on-site in our Special Collections Reading
Room, under supervision by an archivist.  Our Education Officer is keen to
explore the possibility of going out to local schools to conduct similar
sessions.

Although I do have concerns about the idea of taking original material off-
site, I am interested to hear the thoughts of others involved in archives/
education work. All the case studies I have come across which involve the
use of original material seem to be based on-site, but I am wondering
whether anybody out there has allowed material to go off-site and, if so,
what kind of conditions (if any) have been applied to the situation?  Have
you found it to be more difficult to supervise the use of material? Have
you been able to ensure careful handling of material? Has your selection of
material been governed by the fact that it will be taken off-site? Do you
think the age-group of the children involved makes a difference? Have you
insisted on the material being accompanied by an archivist at all times?

I’d be very grateful to hear your thoughts on the above and I’ll be happy
to summarise the responses I receive for the list.

Best wishes,

Geraldine Hunwick

Geraldine Hunwick
Archivist & Assistant Special Collections Librarian
Robinson Library
Newcastle University
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE2 4HQ